You’re not working just for money; you’re not working for the approval of people. You’re working for the living God.
- Temple University, B.A.
- Westminster Theological Seminary, B.D.
- Temple University, M.A.
- Westminster Theological Seminary, Th.M.
- Whitefield Theological Seminary, Ph.D.
- Director & Instructor, Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation (CCEF), 1970-1974
- Pastor, Calvary Community OPC, 1974-1982
- Director & Instructor, CCEF West / The Institute for Biblical Counseling & Discipleship, 1982-2006
- Professor of Practical Theology, Westinster Theological Seminary, 1982-2006
- Associate Pastor, Bayview OPC, 1992-2006
- Evangelist, Covenant Community OPC, 2006-2008
- Director & Adjunct Professor, Biblical Counseling Institute of the Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary (RPTS), 2008-Present
- “The Pauline Concept of Sunedesis,” Westminster Theological Seminary (Th.M. Thesis), 1973
- “The Wonderful Counselor, the Other Counselor, and Christian Counseling” in the Westminster Theological Journal, 1974
- Timothy, Titus, and You (author), Pilgrim Publishing Co., 1975; Reprinted by Presbyterian & Reformed Publishing Co., 1985; Reprinted by Timeless Texts, 1994
- “The Limits of Confidentiality in Counseling” in the Journal of Pastoral Practice, 1984
- “Who Owns the Children of Divorce?” in the Journal of Pastoral Practice, 1986
- “Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo: Is Biblical Counseling It or No?” in the Journal of Pastoral Practice, 1989
- “Self-Esteem is Sweeping over America” in the Journal of Pastoral Practice, 1989
- “The Biblical Ethics of Transsexual Operations” in the Journal of Biblical Ethics in Medicine, 1990
- “How Important is the Biblical Counseling Movement?” in The Biblical Counselor, 1993
- “Whom are You Going to Call?” in The Outlook, 1993
- “The Peace of God Under Pressure” in New Horizons, 1993
- “Keep up the Good Work” in The Sufficient Word, 1995
- “The Biblical Battle for the Family” in The Sufficient Word, 1996
- “The Biblical Battle for the Family: A Theology of the Family,” Whitefield Theological Seminary (Ph.D. Dissertation), 1996
- “Domestic Violence: What’s the Church to Do?” in New Horizons, 1997
- “Christian Counseling, Culture, and Credibility” in The Sufficient Word, 1997
- “Disciple-Makers” in The Sufficient Word, 1997
- “Cross-Cultural Counseling” in The Sufficient Word, 1997
- “The Christian Worldview of Psychology and Counseling” (co-author with Lawrence Crabb, Jr. & Ed Payne) in the Journal of Biblical Ethics in Medicine, 1997
- “Van Til, Adams, and Me” in Penpoint, 1997
- “What’s in a Name?” in The Sufficient Word, 1998
- “To Train or Not to Train: It’s Really Not a Question” in The Sufficient Word, 1998
- “Biblical Counseling’s First Martyr” in The Biblical Counselor, 2000
- “Floods” in The Sufficient Word, 2002
- The Sword and the Shovel: The Battle for the Biblical Family (author), Institute for Biblical Counseling & Discipleship, 2002; republished as The Battle for the Biblical Family, Crown & Covenant Publications, 2018
- “Is Porn Norm? From the Back Street to the Main Street” in Evangelium, 2005
- “Serving the Savior, His Saints, and Sinners” in The Sufficient Word, 2005
- “A Testimony to God’s Faithfulness” in The Sufficient Word, 2006
- “Hospice, Death, and You” in the Allegheny Medical Society Bulletin, 2015
- “Does God have Freewill? The Meaning of Providence” in the Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal, 2016