Subtitle: Protestants Affirm the Church
One of the great weaknesses of this generation of professing believers is a lack of understanding of the person and work of Christ, fostered by a paucity of understanding of the church He came to gather and build. Contrary to popular opinion, the church is not an institution created by the religious establishment. According to Scripture, it is a body of people who have been assembled through a call or summons. Additionally, the concept of gathering is not so much focused on having a meeting as it is focused on meeting the One who called the gathering together – God. The purpose of assembling together is to hear His voice.
It is not for us to determine, design, or dictate what the church should be. God has already done that. These essays should give believers a greater appreciation and love for what Christ loves, the Church!
Table of Contents
- Author Profiles
- Introduction by Dr. Bruce Bickel
- I Love Thy Church, O God: John MacArthur on the Importance of the Church
- Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken: Joel Beeke on the Doctrine of the Church
- On the Rock of Ages Founded: Jonathan Gerstner on the Marks of a True Church
- Blest Be the Tie That Binds: Don Kistler on Church Membership
- Jesus Shall Reign: James White on Authority in the Church
- Weep O’er the Erring One, Lift Up the Fallen: John Armstrong on Church Discipline
- To Her My Toils and Cares Be Giv’n: Donald S. Whitney on the Working Church
- One O’er All the Earth: R.C. Sproul on Church Unity
- We Are Not Divided: Phil Johnson on Denominations and Unity
- Great Things He Hath Taught Us: Joseph A. Pipa on the Importance of Creeds and Confessions in the Church
- Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah: John Gerstner on When a Person Must Leave a Church
Don Kistler (DMin) is the founder and president of Solid Deo Gloria Ministries and Northampton Press. He is the author of A Spectacle Unto God: The Life and Death of Christopher Love and Why Read the Puritans Today? He is also the editor of all the Puritan reprints published by Solid Deo Gloria.
“Onward Christian Soldiers is a powerful collection of first-rate articles on the nature, management, marks, and importance of the church of Jesus Christ. It is a topic that has long been neglected by evangelicals. I know you will be encouraged.”
– James Montgomery Boice, Former Senior Minister, Tenth Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, PA)
“God’s people need to read this book. Each chapter hits the mark with biblical clarity and pastoral care.”
– Alistair Begg, Senior Pastor, Parkside Church (Cleveland, OH)